Sunday, March 1, 2020

To My Neighbor: A Farewell

It all matters
The bells pealing in homage to
The life of a man I hardly knew
The kiss on the cheek of his bride,
Face alight with the flame of
Love even in her grief
The words on the lips of the priest
Pointing toward Hope in eternal
Dwellings, where, body freed from its bondage,
He plays his guitar once more
The peace of Christ passed between strangers
Brought near by one life well-lived
The sunlight piercing through storm clouds
Then yielding to wind and rain,
Reminding us that suffering and joy
Are held together in one overflowing cup
The hail rebounding off my windshield as I sit
Lingering with the memories of all I saw and heard
Changed by a neighbor’s living and dying
My heart breathes a prayer for those who mourn:

May you be…
Held          when grief’s waves crash
Carried      in the protecting arms of God
Resting      in the woven hammock of His love
Kept          until you, too, are
Home
Rennes, France
February 29, 2020
(written after attending the funeral of my former neighbor)
Photo by Steph Q on Unsplash


No comments:

Post a Comment