Monday, March 16, 2020

We did not break bread together today.


We did not break bread together today.
With church doors shut,
Christ’s body was scattered –
      an ear in Rennes
      an eye in Betton –
feeling the depth of our need for one another,
measuring at last the value of
      what we often take for granted.

In one living room,
a family sat on their couch,
guitar and Bible in hand,
hearts turned with compassion
toward the flock of the Good Shepherd,
sitting before our screens hungry for hope.

Even as the virus claimed lives,
our voices joined theirs to praise
the One who conquered death,
pushing back fear with each rising note.

The father spoke the words of the perfect Son:
“Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give you.
Not as the world gives do I give to you.
Let not your hearts be troubled,
neither let them be afraid.” (John 14:27)

We did not break bread together today.
But gathered in worship online,
Christ’s broken body reached
hands of healing toward my heart,
inviting me to abandon agitation
as His Spirit of peace nourishes mine.

Rennes, France
March 15, 2020
Written during the Covid-19 pandemic

No comments:

Post a Comment