Thursday, March 19, 2020

Home is...


Home is…
an unlocked door
an echo of belonging

It’s the quickening in my spirit as I walk
through the airport to meet my parents
at baggage claim

It’s feeling the squish of carpet beneath my feet

Home is release –
an unburdening
Rest after a long journey

It’s dresser drawers lovingly
emptied just for me

It’s hopping up on the kitchen counter
to sit and chat with Mom

It’s knowing you’re wanted –
     awaited
          welcomed
safe to stop pretending and
let down your guard

Home is licking cookie dough off the beaters
watching hummingbirds out the back window
sitting at the piano and finding an old friend

Home is enfolded in Dad’s hug
belly laughs that bathe the soul
the grace of being known

It’s the sound of little feet
slapping against the floor as
nephew and nieces run for hugs
It’s “Push me higher” and
“Halle, look!” and “Sing it again”

It’s Grandfather in his chair imparting
insight from his latest book
Gram’s hands setting the table for a feast
Gathering around it with those you love

Home is memories curled in the
swirls of a conch shell and the
peace I feel as the ears of my heart
listen to its waves

Home is knocking goodnight
on the bedroom walls and
falling asleep beloved


March 19, 2020

2 comments:

  1. You're an excellent writer, Halle. You know how to probe and truly appreciate the the things that matter most.

    ReplyDelete