Monday, March 16, 2020

Advent

Gliding backward through space and
Forward through time
Morning hush blends with the
Repetitive hum of train wheels
Turning over rails
Drawing me ever closer to my
Destination.

In the gray gloom
Eyes welcome rest,
Thoughts floating on the
Fog of semi-slumber
Meandering earthward,
Self-ward, God-ward –

Then, almost imperceptibly, it comes.
With eyes still closed, I feel its
Advent in all my being,
Murmuring a promise that all
Tragedy will come untrue.
With rays like waves lapping the seashore
I feel it bathe cheek and heart
Hope wrapped up and carried in the
Gift of Light

With childlike delight I unwrap the present
Opening my eyes to greet the
Sunshine streaming in long windows,
Winking through trees as train slides by

In the darkness of Before
I knew not that I was waiting
But now, held in dawn’s embrace
Sunlight points me gently
Homeward

March 9, 2020
On a Lyon-bound train

No comments:

Post a Comment