Thursday, February 13, 2020

Cocoon


I emerge slowly
Never the master of those first thoughts
hovering precariously between the waking world and dreamland

As blinds roll up, the light spills in
setting in motion the dance of Morning –
the daily steps well-known but never quite the same

Blankets thrown back haphazardly form a cocoon of sorts
And sliding my hand underneath, I find it still
filled with the sweet warmth of slumber

I long to crawl back in, curling once again into the
safety of surrender
But the winds of the day call me to fly
unfurling folded wings to scatter life and joy as best I can
Climbing the breeze with the help of an unseen Spirit

Perhaps I may carry this cocoon in my heart
Returning there time and again when I pause on a flower
to catch the warmth of the sun on my wings
Knowing those rays flow from the same Sun
            who restores me as I sleep


Rennes, France
January 24, 2020


Psalm 84:11 “For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.”

Top Photo by NON on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment