Monday, January 13, 2020

What to Wear?

A love that confronts
       A kind of love I have not often encountered
I try it on for size, arms twisting and pushing to find the sleeves,
       breath held until head emerges into light

A first glance in the mirror leaves me uncertain

I’m used to roomy sweaters knit by hands
       whose lips speak nothing but praise
They feel safe, comfortable

But is this new garment a deeper kind of love,
       fitting close to the skin and cutting to the heart?
Will choosing to put it on invite me into newfound freedom,
       like a dancer’s leotard & tights frees her body to follow
       the contours of the music?

Can it reveal deeper beauty I might have missed,
       hidden beneath layers of feigned perfection?

Rennes, France
September 15, 2018



unsplash-logoDavid Hofmann

No comments:

Post a Comment