Tuesday, January 7, 2020

By the River Tisza

Morning poetic sketches in Tokaj, Hungary 



July 31, 2018

Quaking leaves whisper of Wind unseen
     Breathing cool refreshment into tired days
As waters glide past like sand in an hourglass
     winking diamonds reflect greater Light

I hold it in my heart and linger.
_______

Jeremiah 17:7-8 


“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
     whose trust is the Lord.
8 He is like a tree planted by water,
     that sends out its roots by the stream,
and does not fear when heat comes,
     for its leaves remain green,
and is not anxious in the year of drought,
     for it does not cease to bear fruit.”

_______



August 1, 2018

The smell of fish hangs in the air
as a train rushes past,
shattering the pulsing stillness
with a burst

The gray sky’s veil presses down
across my cheeks,
meeting my heart where still lies
     a CHOICE
     who or what will animate my day?
_______

Psalm 3:3
“But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.”

_______



August 2, 2018

Twisted white trumpets dotting the hillside
speak of a daily choice:
     to unfurl their petals and embody God’s glory
     or keep their hearts closed and deprive the world of
          their unique beauty
Stooping with childlike delight, I give thanks that most have dared to 
open wide their hearts.

(As people, we can sometimes be twisted like these tiny flowers – at times simply because it is not yet time to unfurl and at other times because we resist doing so out of fear or mistrust. But in that “twisted” state, people are filled with such potential. I pray for God’s “unfurling” in each life. May we be like tiny trumpets declaring His glory and beauty through our lives.)
_______

August 3, 2018

Sunbeams kiss my skin
And wind through the willows
     brushes the warmth gently from my cheeks
Lapping waves rock the old boat
     as the dock pulses with the river’s life
A splash close by reminds me I’m not the only creature sharing this 
space 


_______

August 4, 2018

Wheels turn slowly in me this morning
     and in stillness I’m keenly aware of the deep inner movement of 
womanhood
I feel Your gentle welcome to come
     with all of me – the fragility & fatigue are not a surprise or 
despised by You
Me voici – Hineni – Here am I
     Draw me into You and use the raw materials of “me” to bless in 
Your world today
_______

Psalm 103:1, 13-14
“Bless the Lord, O my soul,
     and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!

13 As a father shows compassion to his children,
     so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
14 For he knows our frame;
     he remembers that we are dust.”

_______

August 6, 2018

The river flows slowly today
Inching breathlessly toward the unknown
An early morning flutist’s notes lilt through the air,
     meeting my thankful heart
How good it feels to be still with my God.
_______

August 12, 2018

Blue & black damselflies flit by water’s edge
     as small fish wind their way below
One final morning to pause on river bank
     with my God
It is well with my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment