Sunday, January 5, 2020

Rhythms of Rest


In 2017, I received the gift of being able to take my first sabbatical after 10 years in ministry. Right near the beginning of it, I attended a Creative Retreat with some fellow artists. This is a poem I wrote one morning overlooking the vineyards surrounding the farmhouse where we met.



Suspended
silence alive with morning
Birds drawing arcs between vine and sky
         Twittering of the new day

Sour and sweet mix on my tongue
         A dance of yogurt, banana, muesli –
the scrape of metal on porcelain signals finish

Steady chiming speaks of time
like the shrinking shadows between the
         straight regiments of vines
and growing sunlight on my cheek

A distant rooster call mingles with the
         murmur of voices and a frog speaks his mind

I welcome the timelessness in time –
         the brave being that slowly makes me whole

Sablet, France
May 28, 2017


“Wherever you are, be all there.” 
           Jim Elliot

“Listen to me in silence,
O Coastlands;
let the peoples renew their strength”
          Psalm 41:1a

“Quietness allows room for God to speak or to be silent. Both are gifts. Quietness stops crowding the Holy Spirit, elbowing aside God’s gentle presence. The end of striving makes room for dwelling.”
          Mark Buchanan, The Rest of God

(2nd photo courtesy of someone on the retreat, but I forget who.)

2 comments:

  1. Halle, I’ve never been much of a poetry fan unless it speaks clearly to me and I don’t have to struggle to figure out the meaning. Your words are like a paint brush creating a beautiful picture. I felt as though I was with you! Wish I were! What a wonderful gift. I am praying that God inspires you with the right words for the poem that has been requested. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Mary, for your words and prayers! I'm glad you could imagine the scene in the poem :-)

      Delete