Sunday, October 4, 2020

Unfinished


The world is full of unfinished poems.

The early lines flow like creamy honey,
ink spread across the page
like softened butter on
loaves fresh from the oven.

I feel the elation
of a puzzle-piece well-placed,
the joy of alliteration,
lines well-paced.

But then comes a time
when the pen runs dry.
The garden hose has kinks
and the dahlias are drooping.

The stack of scratch paper
where I scrawl my poems
grows ever thicker.

I wonder if this one
will end up there, too.

But perhaps that stack is 
not a graveyard but a
greenhouse --

A safe space for new-sprung sprouts
to send out roots,
unjudged by voices of haste.

I read that dahlias may droop
in times of stress --
Who doesn't when faced with the
unfinished poems of our lives?

But the secret of their sagging
stems is this:
water sent from leaves
to strengthen roots.

So when we feel that all our
poetry has turned to stammering
and the puzzle, once so thrilling,
is far from done,

Meet me in the greenhouse,
warmed by sunlight,
where a tender gardener
will write the lines to come...

October 4, 2020

Photo by Arno Smit on Unsplash


No comments:

Post a Comment