Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Improvisation

She taught us to improvise with what we have –
shapes sparking exploration of worlds unknown
hidden within our souls and sinews
softly slumbering yet longing to awaken

As the pianist’s notes draw them forth,
colors lodged in memories find expression
in the arc of an arm, a sparkling eye,
pure gold offered in cupped hands
to any heart willing to receive

I take this treasure so freely given
and light spreads its soft tendrils inward,
illuminating a spacious sofa where
I’m invited to sit for a spell

In the warm stillness I come home to myself,
bathed in golden rays of welcome
by the One who calls me beloved

Ever so slowly, an invitation swells up
to rejoin the dance with steps of greeting,
offering my cup of gold to another soul,
like a candle that loses nothing when
passing along its tender flame

April 14, 2020


A poem inspired by a dream mingling with memories of improv dance classes and the state of my heart upon waking in this season of Covid-19 confinement, where we’re being called to improvise in a whole new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment