Monday, October 25, 2021

My poetic muscles have been sleeping for about a year (while they slept, I’ve been learning to paint). But today, it felt like it was about time to wake them up and give them some exercise. So here are some simple “pliés and tendus” to get moving again…


20 minutes of sunshine

after the storm


Had I stayed home, 

I would have missed…

  • raindrop-frosted, lavender-white blooms framing the clouds under their trellis
  • the snail helping his friend up the steep bank on moving day
  • sunlight glinting through golden ash leaves painted with perfection upon the sky’s blue canvas
  • my longing for the blackbird to open his butterscotch beak for a serenade
  • turquoise-orange flashes of kingfishers in flight low across the river 
  • the wafting aroma of wet willows reaching down their welcome
  • a robin’s wary hop across my path to hustle and hide, though I wished he would linger
  • burgundy berries gracing green bushes whilst sumacs donned their best frocks for the annual autumn ball
  • the swoosh of waters jostling one another through the dam to freedom
  • periwinkle piles of cloud kissed pink by the setting sun
  • the passion flower’s three-tone fringe skirt contrasting with the electric orange of its ripe fruit 
  • the starlings’ final murmurations as they came to rest upon the crane for a good night’s sleep


I sure am glad I didn’t stay inside.






No comments:

Post a Comment