Monday, July 27, 2020

Turn Aside

Reaching in brambles

beside the sliding stream,

in fading daylight purple

fingers pluck their prize –

juicy red lumps turned

dark by sunlit days,

now gathered one by one

for an evening snack.

 

Intent but still aware

of passersby,

I see him see me

bent upon my task –

a fellow cyclist quite

content to stroll

as Sabbath gift ebbs

to its weekly close.

 

As he in turn leans

down to taste the treat,

a knowing smile is

born within my eyes –

savoring the joy of

helping others see,

my heart gives thanks

for those whose eyes

changed mine.

 

Along this same path

several weeks before,

still chattering their

delight in baby ducks,

my two young teachers,

Moses-like, turned aside

to gaze at “this great sight”

gracing a bush.

 

Perhaps my sandals

should have been

stripped off

upon what I soon

found was holy ground –

a promise of deliverance

from the rush,

when blackberry juices

dance across my tongue.


July 26, 2020





No comments:

Post a Comment